Friday, June 10, 2011

Puzzle

“I’m going upstairs to puzzle,” I said quickly escaping the booming sounds and flashing lights of the television screen that filled the room. Reaching my haven hideout I promptly pulled the stool close to the table filled with tiny pieces of brightly colored cardboard. It’s only a corner in the vast room, but it is my little get away.

The box before me displayed brilliant hews of the rainbow in just the right balance to create a scene with a rustic cabin, flowing water and a sense of outdoor ecstasy. Gazing into this alluring scene it was as though I could hear the crickets, the rustling of leaves and the stream flowing. The artist certainly captured a sense of serenity with his talented strokes of color.

Straightening for a moment I realized this quiet little place had become one of my favorites. As I sat there sifting through the many puzzle pieces seeking just the right fit, my mind and spirit called to the Master of my soul. On this night as I began to “puzzle” again, His words returned to my mind:

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me---watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.
Matthew 11:28-30 The Message

I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you … the words echoed in my mind. I have often found puzzle pieces that look as though they belong but upon attempting, it just does not quite fit. All too often one little edge feels forced. I have also seen some that appeared to be the same shape, yet the pattern did not match where I was about to connect it. For the puzzle to display the artists’ intended work, each piece must fit together in a precise order. Certainly some pieces could be forced to fit, but the original intent would be lost.

So, too, it is with our lives. The Master who created us longs to fit each piece together, creating something of value and beauty. Yet how often do we force things because it is what we want? Then what of the original design of our lives? The Master Jesus knows exactly how each moment was intended.

Are we yielded to His leading, even to the point of allowing Him to undo portions perhaps forced together in error? The process can be lengthy and difficult: “The way to life - to God! - is vigorous and requires total attention” (Matthew 7:14b The Message). But the result, much like a completed puzzle with each piece correctly placed, is simply a woven art of breathtaking beauty: “The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD … to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes … They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.” (Isaiah 61:1-3 NIV 1984)

I hope you’ll join me in following Him, yielding to His leading. Do you recognize how He leads? Is His voice like a familiar friend calling you? I find reading His Word sharpens my spirit and tunes my ears to His voice and you, too, can experience the same … “Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ” (Romans 10:17 niv).

Don’t’ know where to start? Start reading the words of Jesus Christ, many of which are found in the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) of the Holy Bible. After reading through these, I find practical instructions for daily life easy to understand in Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians. As pieces come together for you, I’d love to hear about your journey. Feel free contact me at: tanjadufrene.blogspot.com, Facebook, or send me an email at Tanja_Dufrene@yahoo.com

Many blessings …
Tanja Dufrene

Puzzle © 2011 Tanja Dufrene

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages