Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Alone ...

I’ve passed by it many times but never really noticed it – until now. There are several nearby, yet this one stands alone. Although it is somewhat smaller, this lovely holly bush is growing in soil much like that of the others. It does not appear to receive any more or less sunshine or water. Yet what caught my attention was that it was full, FULL of berries - quite unlike the others.

Have you ever felt like you’re standing alone? Or perhaps you’ve been through seasons of loneliness. I’ve heard it said you can feel all alone even when in a room crowded full of people. I’ve experienced that, have you? I think that’s why this one shrub caught my eye. Personally, I’ve never liked feeling alone though I’ve had many opportunities for just such. Yet as I observed the berries on this one bush, a new awakening dawned within me when I remembered this:

… he (Jesus) climbed the mountain so he could be by himself and pray. He stayed there alone, late into the night.
Matthew 14:23 The Message

Let’s take a closer look at Matthew 14. In the previous verses, we see that Jesus learned John the Baptist was beheaded. While on His way to a remote place the crowd followed Him. Notice what Jesus did … “he had compassion on them and healed their sick.” Then He performed a miracle to ensure their strength would not fail as they traveled home. He fed 5,000 men, not including the women and children, with only 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish!

In spite of His desire to be alone, perhaps to grieve John’s death or seek strength and direction from the Father, Jesus gave of Himself to the crowd that followed Him. He delayed His own desires. Finally, when the needs of the crowd were satisfied, He made time to seek God. He did not pursue rest or exhibit a sense of entitlement for having worked so hard. Instead, He climbed a mountain! Why? So He could be alone and pray.

Ok, so I’m writing about one bush that produces lots of berries as it stands alone. Then I’m noting that most of us have felt alone at some time or another. So what’s the point, right? Are you concerned that I’m going to say we should all be alone? Well, be at ease. That’s not the point at all. But this is … what do we do with those times when we’re alone? Or better yet, do we seek time to be alone with God?

If we follow the example of Jesus, we will make time to be alone with the One we worship. I hope you’ll read Matthew 14 from a fresh perspective. Ponder what Jesus did, how He gave of Himself tirelessly. And realize that even Jesus knew His ability to continue producing fruit for the kingdom was dependent on His alone time with God.

A single holly bush bursting with berries as it stands alone … hum … I wonder what fruit will be produced through our lives as we follow the example of Christ – both in selfless service and in prayerful time alone with the Father.

I’d love to hear about the new insights you’re gleaning in your time with the Lord …

Many Blessings,
Tanja Dufrene
Highpointe Church
Women’s Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages