Friday, March 26, 2010

Passing through ...

Don’t you just love the quiet and stillness of the early morning hours? You know, those silent moments before the world starts moving with the demands of schedules and responsibilities. Straying from my usual routine this particular morning, I wandered over to the windows, opened the blinds and gazed into the courtyard. The restful peace of the morning had not yet lifted. The sun had not pierced the sky with its brilliant rays. Only the night lamp near the sidewalk illuminated the tranquil scene before me.

Peering through the window I could see the grassy area, trees and other landscaping. Not far from my view were the front doors and windows of other occupants. Each window pane was dark as though no one had yet risen. I began to call out to my Creator, “What would you show me? Did You not call me over here?”

It occurred to me that many of my neighbors had moved on, no longer living in our complex. Few seem to use their front doors that open to the lovely courtyard I was enjoying. Would I even recognize them if our paths crossed along life’s way?

Then my mind drifted through the walls of these units. Each resident lives in a space similar to mine. Oh I’m sure there are different decorating tastes, various personal effects, yet the basic designs are comparable. I thought of how people move in and out with the passing of time, pursuing other life events. Yet the units remain. They are but empty space to be used by those who come and go.

Looking heavenward again, I realized we, too, are merely occupants on earth for a season. Our Creator placed us here for only a time. Yet what do we do with it? How are the imaginary walls of this world affected by our placement here? Is it a better place after we are gone because we were here? Do we merely focus on making it through another day? Or do we rejoice while seeking His design for the time and space He has provided? I saw myself in these words:

No doubt about it: God is good ---
good to good people, good to the good-hearted.
But I nearly missed it, missed seeing his goodness.
I was looking the other way …
Psalm 73:1-2 The Message

Looking again into the courtyard I saw lights beginning to illuminate the windows as others began to awaken. I realized all too soon that the day’s tasks were calling. It was time to get moving and work through the assignments set for me. And in His goodness, God shared His beautiful words to guide me:

Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
Psalm 90: 12 NIV

Hum … I wonder what mark He will have me leave on today … and I’d love to hear about how He leads you in the coming days...

Many Blessings,
Tanja Dufrene
Women’s Ministries
Highpointe Church - OKC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages