Monday, December 20, 2010

What will be revealed?

I was covered from head to toe with hat, scarf, gloves, long coat, knee socks, pants and layers and layers and layers. Ok, well, maybe not so much, but you get the idea, right? I dressed as warmly as I knew how, yet the biting cold of the morning air prevailed. Initially I walked with my hands to my side, yet after several minutes my fingers began to numb. Realizing we still had quite a distance to go, I balled my hands into fists, hoping to create warmth and avoid frostbite. When even those measures proved to be insufficient, I shoved my hands into my pockets.

They said this was the first snow of the season. Several of us mused at how people could manage such harsh weather each winter. Our pace was moderately fast considering the size of our group. I was thankful not to be walking this route alone, though how could I have possibly been alone with so many others also walking to their destination.

I purposefully looked into the faces of many passersby. Each appeared intent on only one thing, to reach a specific place where warmth and the day’s tasks would be found. One particular man mirrored my approach to this challenge – every possible inch of skin was covered save the eyes needed for sight. Any why not? The air was so cold and the wind only exacerbated our discomfort.

Yet we continued walked. First one intersection, then another, and another … Fortunately, we had to stop at only a few crossings as the pedestrian light illuminated, signaling that motorized traffic would soon fill the street, making our passage unsafe.

As our journey continued I could not stop thinking about the man who only exposed his eyes to these elements. Future recognition of him would be very difficult because he revealed so little. Within moments my mind drifted to these words …

I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:11 NLT

So how does hiding God’s Word in my heart relate to a man walking the streets on a cold Chicago morning? Simply this, as I passed him, little of who he is could be seen. Yet when he arrives in a warm place, he will begin to unwrap the outer covering. Who he is will be revealed. Just like us, when faced with life situations, our outer veneer will fade. Whatever we are under the outer cloak will be evident.

What will be discovered about me and you when our external wrapping is removed? What do you think about? Do you feed your mind with that which is good so there is a reserve readily available when it’s needed?

Each time you unwrap, removing your coat, gloves, hat or whatever during this winter season, I hope you’ll think of this little reminder and consider, “Am I hiding God’s Word in my heart so that His likeness is revealed in me when the hidden me is exposed?”

Many Blessings …
Tanja Dufrene
Women’s Ministries
Highpointe Church
Oklahoma City, OK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages