Wednesday, May 25, 2011

“I know the Master of the wind. I know the Maker of the rain. He can calm the storm, cause the sun to shine again …”1 Do you remember that old church song? The words began to play in my mind this morning in the aftermath of yesterday’s storms. Looking out my window today the grass is green, the sun is shining and a tree across the street sways to the light wind that is blowing. Other than the memory and physical tiredness from the tension, there is little left of the previously looming threats, at least from my vantage point.

But others only a few miles from me were faced with total devastation. Numerous pictures of damaged homes and buildings flashed across the television screen for hours last night. The news web pages are filled with videos and photos of the destruction. Piles of lumber and debris have become the new landscape for many. It is almost more than my mind and emotions can comprehend.
As I sit here and reflect, I realize indeed, the Master of the wind, the Maker of the rain sustained us. We were unharmed and our property undamaged. Yet how many were not as fortunate, and why? And how are we to respond? As I prayerfully considered this, I was reminded of Job’s response when he faced great calamity: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.” Job 1:21 NIV
Facing catastrophic loss, Job still honored the Lord. There was no blame, no pity party, and seemingly, no anger. Instead, he praised God. Looking into the original word definition, it indicates Job “blessed” or “adored” God.2 Can we bless God even after such tragedy? Or perhaps more appropriately asked, will we choose to adore God? Our opinion of Him or events He allows to unfold does not change who He is. But our response to Him can change who we are and how we handle life’s storms.
Were you affected by the recent storms? Do you know someone who sustained damage or was injured? The Maker of the wind and rain waits for us to be His hands reaching to those in need.
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:34-40 NIV
May we find ways to share needed resources, as well as words of encouragement and hope, to help those in need.

Many Blessings …
Tanja Dufrene

1 Recorded by The Hemphills on Together Copyright @ 1984 Heartwarming Records
2 Strong’s Greek and Hebrew Dictionary (based on the King James version of the Holy Bible)

Storm © 2011 Tanja Dufrene

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages